7.23.2005

Saturday/Sunday classes

Today started my pre-vacation hiatus from work-- a four day weekend. Huzzah! I started my day off the best way possible: 2 hours of aikido first thing in the morning.

Was a good class. Strange dynamics though-- our Sensei was at the dojo on his regular "day off" and he wasn't teaching. I felt sorry for our yudansha instructors who were teaching while Sensei was practicing. LOL

I actually got to practice with Sensei today. That was a first for me. heh He caught me right at the end of second class and said "you can't avoid me all day you know!"

Apparently he thought I didn't want to practice with him "because he's mean"

Testing is just around the corner. Sensei asked me if I had an uke yet. (a partner to take ukemi-- or receive techniques) I sheepishly admitted I had not asked anyone yet.

A fellow dojomate testing for the same rank suggested we uke for each other, but I don't know if Sensei would allow it since it's our first rank test. Will ask him tomorrow at practice.

I honestly don't remember all the techniques we practiced, so I'll list what I remember:

Tai no Henko exercise

katatetori kaittenage

katatetori kotegaeshi (ura)

katatetori iriminage and iriminage kokyunage

ryotetori kokyunage

Sumi otosh (sp?)

It's all a jumble really... I've also slept since then (it is now Sunday) Guess I'd better post that before I forget.

Sensei taught this morning. I got there about an hour early (mainly because I was afraid I wouldn't go if I didn't head to the dojo) and watched Bill run through his test again with Ron and Sensei.

I didn't stay for second class, because I had a dizzy spell during warmups in first class. I had to excuse myself from the mat before the first technique. I think Sensei was a little irked.

When I came back I found a pair to partner with.

ryotetori tenchinage (omote/ura)
I was a little flustered after having to leave the mat, so I wasn't really focused.
Had a hard time with ura-- something I need to work on as it will be on my test.

shomenuchi nikkyo (omote/ura)
W/Ron. We don't practice this much, but you start like ikkyo and then change your grip to nikkyo before taking uke to the mat. Weird transition, especially if uke is resisting. Ron was doing a great job at that.
Ura is essentially the same as ikkyo ura, except you tenkan, switch your grip to nikkyo, let uke come up a little then scoop down on their arm, tightening the nikkyo grip, another tenkan and then bring uke to the mat.

Yokomenuchi nikkyo (omote and ura)
only real difference here was sliding in before uke gets the chance to strike, meeting the blow and getting him off balance then slip one hand behind uke's and either step through for omote or tenkan for ura.
Ron's a great teacher. I think I'll ask him to help me practice my test next time I see him in class.

katatetori kokyunage
W/Carlos. Not a whole lot to note except it was fun. I love kokyunage throws. Took some pretty smooth forward rolls. :) I was having a bit of a hard time sliding too far when cutting down to throw uke, but Carlos helped me get my feet straight. (SPACIAL RELATIONSHIPS! hehe)

katatetori hanmi handachi shihnage (omote)
yep, just as akward as ever-- Carlos did help me with my ukemi though. Sometimes I wonder if the suwari waza/hanmi handachi stuff will ever make sense to me... O_o

Overall good class-- minus the dizzy spell. Why does that only happen when Sensei is teaching? He must think I'm a nutjob. Hopefully he's not terribly irked at me. He didn't correct me once on the mat, which usually means he's not in the mood to bother. It certainly wasn't because I didn't need it. *sighs*

Ahh well, time to start working on the house stuffs... grrrr

1 Comments:

Blogger Cop the Truth said...

I found your insights into your Aikido training interesting, although I am a student of other styles. Look forward to more!

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home